Photo

Tags In Toodledo Become Calendars In Pi?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Alan.in.Montreal

Alan.in.Montreal

New User

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

It seems that tags in Toodledo become calendars in PI. Is this correct?

If so, this seems strange. I would like to delete the calendars in the Settings section, but I'm afraid I will lose the tasks that have those tags.

If you're offering synchronization with Toodledo, shouldn't the task section of PI support the tags in Toodledo?

#2 Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Owner/President

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19540 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

Yes, that is because with the available fields that Toodledo had, that was the only option. We are not an- offline Toodledo client meaning we don't design our app around Toodledo. We designed it first and foremost around own task principles and then made it work with Toodledo.

Alex Kac, CEO/Founder
- If you don't see an answer from me quickly, then know that I'm just really busy getting work done (fixing bugs, creating new features, or just plain trying to manage all of our other engineers on their projects).
- If you need a near immediate response, please contact support.

#3 obscurityknocks

obscurityknocks

New User

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

I am also having this problem with like 50 calendars being created from my tags on Toodledo. Is there any way to keep this from happening?

Or...if I delete the calendars on PI, will the tasks associates with those tag calendars be lost as well? If not, what will happen to them?

Any advice or workarounds most appreciated.

#4 Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Owner/President

• Admin
  • 19540 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

As of today, Tags == Calendars. So unfortunately no there is no other option.

Alex Kac, CEO/Founder
- If you don't see an answer from me quickly, then know that I'm just really busy getting work done (fixing bugs, creating new features, or just plain trying to manage all of our other engineers on their projects).

#5 Aamy

Aamy

Respected Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

As of today, Tags == Calendars. So unfortunately no there is no other option.

Hi Alex,

Yep, I'm a new user of PI, moved from Appigo Todo, mainly becoz they didn't appreciate the Next Actions or GTD kinda system. Tats a different story.

Cuming to sync with Toodledo, :) fortunately, there are other options which will be of very big help for user like me.

Firstly, Identify Tasks and Subtasks in Toodledo - they have TaskIds and ProjectIds which can be captured into Projects and Tasks. This solves the "Projects" anomoly with Toodledo (instead of the currently available Toodledo/Folders = PI/Projects).

Secondly, Folders in Toodledo = Calendars is a better option (instead of the currently available Toodledo/Tags = PI/Caledars).

Thirdly, Tags are a extra feature in Toodledo and if PI is just another family of application and not exactly a brother of Toodledo, I appreciate your decision, ignore the Toodledo's Tags. We are already ignoring a lot of too-much info like goals, length etc., No worries.

Would love to hear from other Toodledo users feel about this.

Affly Aamy :-)

#6 Aamy

Aamy

Respected Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:16 PM

Hi Alex,

Yep, I'm a new user of PI, moved from Appigo Todo, mainly becoz they didn't appreciate the Next Actions or GTD kinda system. Tats a different story.

Cuming to sync with Toodledo, :) fortunately, there are other options which will be of very big help for user like me.

Firstly, Identify Tasks and Subtasks in Toodledo - they have TaskIds and ProjectIds which can be captured into Projects and Tasks. This solves the "Projects" anomoly with Toodledo (instead of the currently available Toodledo/Folders = PI/Projects).

Secondly, Folders in Toodledo = Calendars is a better option (instead of the currently available Toodledo/Tags = PI/Caledars).

Thirdly, Tags are a extra feature in Toodledo and if PI is just another family of application and not exactly a brother of Toodledo, I appreciate your decision, ignore the Toodledo's Tags. We are already ignoring a lot of too-much info like goals, length etc., No worries.

Would love to hear from other Toodledo users feel about this.

Hi all,

Current: Toodledo / Folders = PI / Projects
Proposed: Toodledo / Tasks&Subtasks = PI / Projects&Subtasks

Current: Toodledo / Tags = PI / Calendars
Proposed: Toodledo / Folders (ignore tags) = PI / Calendars

Request other Toodledo users to check the following link and vote if you find my suggestion is good enough.

http://feedback.webi...sync-suggestion

Many Thanks

Affly Ahmed :-)

#7 Anders

Anders

MVP Type of Guy/Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:31 PM

Personally, I would love both of these, although I would still want sync my tags, but as actual tags, multiple tags which I miss so much since I started using PI. The problem with your scheme is that it would force everyone who uses PI to get a Toodledo Pro account so they could have subtasks because those with free accounts wouldn't be able to sync their tasks.

I will be happy if we just get the subtasks worked in at all. I really do wish there was some way to rescue tags though. I understand PI is not built to support Toodledo primarily, but tags are an incredbly useful feature. It is the only field on Toodledo that is not limited to one item which allows tons of useful crosslisting, and they are more flexible and adaptable than any other field.

I am learning to live with tags as caledars, but I don't like it. I know the Toodledo developers are considering adding one more level to their hierarchy. Perhaps then, folders could become PI caledars which really does make a lot more sense IMO.

BTW, I would also love to see goals show up in PI, but that is not a major thing for me.
~Anders

#8 Anders

Anders

MVP Type of Guy/Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

Also, while I completely respect the enthusiasm, you should probably have just started a new thread for your idea rather than multiposting.

#9 Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Owner/President

• Admin
  • 19540 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

Hi Alex,

I strongly disagree. Toodledo says that Folders are projects. That's in their help. It simply makes no sense any other way.

We may add Goals and other fields just to flesh things out. But unfortunately it really does not make much sense to use Folders for anything other than Projects. The fields match (completion, archiving, name), the purposes match.

Basically the choice is - you can use Folders for Calendar and then you never use Projects. Or you use Projects and Folders == Projects and tags == Calendars.

If Folders == Calendars, then what do we do with archived or completed "folders"? You can't complete or archive a calendar. It simply does not make sense.

Alex Kac, CEO/Founder

#10 Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Owner/President

• Admin
  • 19540 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

Personally, I would love both of these, although I would still want sync my tags, but as actual tags, multiple tags which I miss so much since I started using PI. The problem with your scheme is that it would force everyone who uses PI to get a Toodledo Pro account so they could have subtasks because those with free accounts wouldn't be able to sync their tasks.

I will be happy if we just get the subtasks worked in at all. I really do wish there was some way to rescue tags though. I understand PI is not built to support Toodledo primarily, but tags are an incredbly useful feature. It is the only field on Toodledo that is not limited to one item which allows tons of useful crosslisting, and they are more flexible and adaptable than any other field.

I am learning to live with tags as caledars, but I don't like it. I know the Toodledo developers are considering adding one more level to their hierarchy. Perhaps then, folders could become PI caledars which really does make a lot more sense IMO.

BTW, I would also love to see goals show up in PI, but that is not a major thing for me.
~Anders

So here is what I'm looking at doing: Adding an option for Tags. Use Tags for Calendars or Tags for Tags. In the case of Tags for Tags - all tasks get put in the "No Calendar" section and you cannot assign a task to a calendar.

Subtasks will come, but while its high on the feature list, there are other options even higher. And no, Folders as Calendars make no sense at all. Goals as Calendars makes more sense that Folders as Calendars. Beyond having a title field and being a collection of stuff, the two have nothing in common and MUCH that is incommon.

Alex Kac, CEO/Founder

#11 Anders

Anders

MVP Type of Guy/Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

So here is what I'm looking at doing: Adding an option for Tags. Use Tags for Calendars or Tags for Tags. In the case of Tags for Tags - all tasks get put in the "No Calendar" section and you cannot assign a task to a calendar.

Subtasks will come, but while its high on the feature list, there are other options even higher. And no, Folders as Calendars make no sense at all. Goals as Calendars makes more sense that Folders as Calendars. Beyond having a title field and being a collection of stuff, the two have nothing in common and MUCH that is incommon.

I love the tag option idea. I can already get my tasks into PI's calendar through Google Calendar using Toodledo's iCal.

I can wait for subtasks. Honestly it is keeping me using another app for Task Management, but that is fine with me. I still love PI.

I do want to make the following point: Contrary to Toodledo's literature, which I assume was probably designed primarily for newcomers and non-Pro users, most long time users, and probably most Pro users in general, seem to use Folders as organizational areas of some kind (sort of like calendars), use tasks as projects, and use subtasks as tasks. You only need to look around the Toodledo forums a little to realize this. Here is one thread: How are you using folders
And here is another where someone actually posted a video that shows how well it works: Screencast
I don't expect you to read that Alex, or even to care that much. I realize you are not designing your product around Toodledo. I just wanted you to understand why a lot of people might agree with this organizational scheme.

~Anders

#12 Anders

Anders

MVP Type of Guy/Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

Subtasks will come, but while its high on the feature list, there are other options even higher.

Currently only 4 :)

BTW, I also like the Goal as Calendar thing. I hadn't considered that, but it makes a lot of sense too.

#13 Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Owner/President

• Admin
  • 19540 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

Currently only 4 :)

BTW, I also like the Goal as Calendar thing. I hadn't considered that, but it makes a lot of sense too.

4 on the feedback site. But we have an internal list...

Alex Kac, CEO/Founder

#14 Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Alex Kac - CEO/Founder

Owner/President

• Admin
  • 19540 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

I love the tag option idea. I can already get my tasks into PI's calendar through Google Calendar using Toodledo's iCal.

I can wait for subtasks. Honestly it is keeping me using another app for Task Management, but that is fine with me. I still love PI.

I do want to make the following point: Contrary to Toodledo's literature, which I assume was probably designed primarily for newcomers and non-Pro users, most long time users, and probably most Pro users in general, seem to use Folders as organizational areas of some kind (sort of like calendars), use tasks as projects, and use subtasks as tasks. You only need to look around the Toodledo forums a little to realize this. Here is one thread: How are you using folders
And here is another where someone actually posted a video that shows how well it works: Screencast
I don't expect you to read that Alex, or even to care that much. I realize you are not designing your product around Toodledo. I just wanted you to understand why a lot of people might agree with this organizational scheme.

~Anders

True, many people can use them like that - and I did see that, but that presents many many other problems. When we support subtasks, a parent task will be just that - a parent task. Which is different from a Project.

Part of the problem is that again - we are not a Toodledo client. We designed our app first, then looked at the sync options. We are a GTD client that supports Toodledo for synching. So making a task act as a project also presents many major issues. What happens when we sync to OmniFocus, Things, Outlook, Franklin Covey, etc? Bottom line: we can't base our app on how Toodledo works. There are things we can take from them thats universal and so on, but we are going to be taking 95% of our design from our Windows Mobile and BlackBerry apps. Not from Toodledo.

So for example - subtasks is what you call them. In PI for WM they are hierarchical tasks. We've had them for years. We've had projects. Within a project you can then have hierarchical tasks. Projects give you specific business logic that having a parent task does not automatically.

Alex Kac, CEO/Founder

#15 Anders

Anders

MVP Type of Guy/Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hey Alex, that's all fine with me. As I said, I realize you are not designing PI for Toodledo, and I just wanted to make sure you understood why for some Folders as Calendars does make sense. As I mentioned, Toodledo has hinted that they may add another level to their hierarchy, what exactly it would be is anyone's guess. It may be simply another level of subtasks, but many including me, are hoping it will be something below Folders and above Tasks, like maybe Projects. That is total speculation, but maybe it would free up Folders to sync as Calendars. Anyway, thanks for paying attention. I have no problems with where you are going with PI, and it is a truly exceptional app IMO. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users